Lighting control for a more sustainable world
The trend for boosting a building’s eco-credentials is on the rise. Learn how Casambi can play its part.
In a world of constant change, the concept of sustainability is increasingly incorporated into our daily lives. And not least into construction projects – where exciting new approaches to green building design and refurbishments aim to reduce environmental impact and gain alignment with the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. A building is no longer simply a structure prepared for human activities, but also a place designed to optimize space and material use while actively improving its occupants’ health and well-being.
Green building rating tools are increasingly used to assess and recognize buildings that meet certain standards. Assessment programs like LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method), and WELL (WELL Building Standard) – to name but a few – help buildings guarantee their environmental, social, and economic sustainability performance. Each certification system has its own requirements and assessment criteria, but all consider energy savings and lighting.
Did you know that Casambi can play its part in helping you to achieve credits? Our wireless lighting control solution not only enables energy saving but also confers social benefits by improving visual comfort and personal safety.
Here’s a lowdown of some sustainable lighting strategies to which Casambi can contribute:
- Optimize energy performance by providing just the right amount of light when and where it is needed. To achieve this, Casambi supports presence sensors, daylight sensors, timers, and software tools that enable continuous monitoring and analysis of a lighting system’s energy performance.
- Minimize energy consumption. Lighting control reduces energy use – as expected – but also contributes to the reduction of heat dissipation. In addition to lighting, Casambi can automate blinds to prevent heat from escaping or to keep a building cooler during hot weather. Consequently, this also lightens the strain on HVAC systems and associated spending.
- Provide individual lighting control by dimming directly from the app or switches. This enables adjustments that meet individual occupant or group needs and preferences.
- Provide visual acuity to improve workforce welfare. The combination of sensors and lighting control can measure lux level and automatically adjust light intensity to cater to highly localized lighting needs.
- Reduce glare by controlling the excessive quantity of light and improving the visual experience of occupants within a given space.
- Daylight control. As the adage goes, the cheapest energy is the energy we don’t use. With Casambi, it’s possible to dim or brighten artificial lighting based on daylight sensor feedback. This can entail a perpetual balancing act to achieve maximum lighting quality and reduced energy consumption in unison with the intermittency of nature.
- Reduce circadian phase disruption. Nowadays, we tend to spend most of our time in indoor spaces. This is wreaking havoc on our circadian rhythms – to the detriment of our health. With Casambi, you can control the color temperature of tunable white luminaires based on time of day to remain in sync with your body clock.
- Reduce light pollution by automatically controlling the amount and brightness level of light produced inside a building during nighttime hours and provide light for specific outside spaces requiring illumination without blanket coverage.
- Reduce CO2 emissions by going wireless. The potential for reduction in embodied and operational carbon due to reduced/zero wiring (not forgetting the associated materials such as electric trays, racks, servers, and installation footprint) and equipment use is an indisputable advantage.
- Easy commissioning. Casambi-enabled products are configured and used with the Casambi app running on a smart device. There’s no need for wires nor any Ethernet connection. The user interface of the commissioning tool is graphical, not text-based. This means fast and easy commissioning… at your fingertips.
- Monitor lighting data. Through a modern API, Casambi networks can be integrated into 3rd party-building facilities dashboards and applications which enable real-time monitoring of energy consumption, the identification, and tracking of faulty equipment, operational anomalies, and occupancy patterns.
- Innovation. Casambi is open to all lighting industry players. We’re at the core of an entire ecosystem of products. This way we can support the development of innovative products – products that are achieving exceptional performance and thus ticking the right boxes for green building certification.
Energy efficiency is but one facet of sustainability. Other benefits must be thrown into the mix to make a truly positive impact on the world – from helping to protect natural resources, consuming fewer materials, contributing to lowering greenhouse gases emissions, developing environments that enhance the well-being of people in both the short and long terms, and reducing operational and maintenance costs. Casambi is proud to play its part in enabling a sustainable future.
Leticia Mori – Casambi Lighting Control Designer based in Madrid, Spain
This blog post has been written by Leticia Mori, a member of our Specification Success Team. Leticia is a civil/structural engineer with a master’s degree in Energy Efficiency. She is also a certified PMP (Project Management Professional, PMI) and Scrum Master. Over the years, Leticia has worked on many kinds of lighting projects spanning the industrial, hospitality, office, residential, and retail segments. She has participated in every phase of these projects from understanding clients’ needs to delivering fixtures on-site, and everything in-between.